Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cryptic Deaths - A Novel (Chapter 2)

Everybody was packed in one place discussing things. I didn’t trust the police so I walked away from them. I was already about 200 meters away from everybody when Kyle looked at me, maybe he was curious why I walked away. I waved my arm for him to come.
Kyle approached and asked, “What are you doing?”
I gestured for him to be quiet and said, “I’d like to wander around. The police might have been missing a thing.”
“But they said they couldn’t find anything,” he demanded.
“But I feel there’s something here. Let’s take a walk. Maybe something will show itself.”
“What?!”
“I mean what if evidence is hiding, waiting to be seen. Now come on!”
He wasn’t speaking after I spoke but he first started our walk. Even though the police didn’t allow it, we took the risk.
We walked around the lake and investigated the place. We stopped beside the large rock where Marie jumped and laid our eyes on everything that were there - the lake, the rock, the sky, the sand, the trees, the bushes, and the blackish plasma-like substance on a bush’s leaves. I thought it was just a drop of sap from a tree. It took a moment until I realized it.
“Kyle! Look! Over there! The bush! There’s blood on it!” I said.
But after a second, thoughts came rushing into me. There’s blood on the bush. Was it Marie’s? If it was, then someone, or more than one, has dragged her into the woods. There’s blood here then this must be of great help. Now we could locate the body. Body? Full of blood? What was done to her? Why was she killed?
Kyle saw the blood immediately then gasped. He looked very stunned. “Let’s tell it to the police.”
“Huh?” My mind was sprinting around in my head. Kyle pulled me very hard as if my arm was going to be ripped off from my body. After 2 seconds, I realized we were already running towards our group.
“Mr. McAllen! We saw blood on a bush over there!” Kyle exclaimed while catching his breath.
Mr. Victor McAllen was the chief investigator for this incident. He ordered us to tell him where the bush was.
“Go at the right side of the lake. Stay at the shore. Go straight where the huge rock is, and the bush is there, under the trees,” I explained.
Mr. McAllen and his members went straight to where the bush was. They came in no time then saw the bush where it was. Blood was wiped on its leaves. It’s like something was hauled into the woods. It must be Marie’s body.
The police entered the woods and followed a trail, a trail which the ground and the bushes were distorted from their original positions.
They walked slowly, scrutinized the place to collect evidences. After over a hundred meter, the trail broke. The chief ordered his men to search the place. The suspect must’ve carried the body somewhere.
After thirty minutes, a police called his chief. They saw a woman’s body. They took pictures of the place, and the most important of all, the body. They also searched the place for evidences.
They found two very unusual things, things that can hardly be considered as weapons for killing. Positioned beside the body was a wallet sized calendar of the year 2008 in which the number 28 under the month of October was encircled, and a small dictionary starting from “Z” - “A”.
The very sight of the body was the most mind-boggling of all. The police found out that the body was Marie’s because it had a blue butterfly tattoo beside a brown heart-like birthmark on the lower right part of its back. The police saw it easily because her body was lying face down. The upper back was badly wounded and the cuts resembled a stanza:

The first is thee,
The next is your tee,
I’ll stop your pee
Then hey! You’ll be free!


Each letter cut deep into her skin. Blood had spread and covered her back and had dripped to the ground.
We saw the evidences and the pictures. The calendar and the dictionary gave us an unbearable confusion, and the sight of Marie’s bloody body left us bewildered and crying on our knees, vomiting.
...

Marie’s death made a great impact on our lives. But no matter what, our lives kept on moving. Even though the police failed to solve the crime, my friends and I didn’t give up on looking for answers and searching for the truth.
Marie was buried after 5 days from the day of her death. Her memories gave us the strength and inspiration to work hard to achieve justice. But as we searched for the truth, we found out that terror was just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment